North Carolina Essential Standards Fifth Grade Visual Arts
Note on Numbering/Strands:
V - Visual Literacy, CX – Contextual Relevancy, CR – Critical Response
Visual Literacy Essential Standard
5.V.1 Use the language of visual arts to communicate effectively.
- 5.V.1.1 Use appropriate art vocabulary to describe art movements.
- 5.V.1.2 Create art that reflects personal voice and choice.
- 5.V.1.3 Classify works of art in terms of whether they are realistic, abstract, or non-objective.
- 5.V.1.4 Understand the relationship between the Elements of Art and the Principles of Design.
- 5.V.1.5 Apply the Principles of Design in creating compositions.
5.V.2 Apply creative and critical thinking skills to artistic expression.
- 5.V.2.1 Evaluate solutions to artistic problems, including their effectiveness
- 5.V.2.2 Use ideas and imagery from the global environment as sources for creating art.
- 5.V.2.3 Create realistic, imaginative, abstract, and non-objective art.
- 5.V.3 Create art using a variety of tools, media, and processes, safely and appropriately.
- 5.V.3.1 Evaluate how to manipulate tools safely and appropriately to reach desired outcomes.
- 5.V.3.2 Use appropriate media for the creation of original art.
- 5.V.3.3 Create art using the processes of drawing, painting, weaving, printing, stitchery, collage, mixed media,
- sculpture, ceramics, and current technology.
Contextual Relevancy Essential Standard
5.CX.1 Understand the global, historical, societal, and cultural contexts of the visual arts.
- 5.CX.1.1 Understand how the visual arts have affected, and are reflected in, the culture, traditions, and history of the United States
- 5.CX.1.2 Recognize key contributions of North American artists in history.
- 5.CX.1.3 Classify North American artists in terms of styles, genre, and/or movements
- 5.CX.1.4 Explain how traditions and values influence ideas, issues, and themes found in art.
- 5.CX.1.5 Analyze the effect of the geographic location and physical environment on the media and subject matter of North American art and artists.
5.CX.2 Understand the interdisciplinary connections and life applications of the visual arts.
- 5.CX.2.1 Analyze the relationship between arts and daily life in product design, print, and digital media.
- 5.CX.2.2 Exemplify how information and skills learned in art can be applied in other disciplines.
- 5.CX.2.3 Understand the balance of individual roles and collaborative skills to create art.
- 5.CX.2.4 Interpret visual images from media sources and the immediate environment.
Critical Response Essential Standard
5.CR.1 Use critical analysis to generate responses to a variety of prompts.
- 5.CR.1.1 Judge art through the application of art concepts and vocabulary.
- 5.CR.1.2 Critique personal art based on established criteria and expressive qualities.