Athens Drive is excited to be a part of the AP Capstone™ Program. Here are some highlights of the AP Capstone™ Program for Athens Drive:
- The AP Capstone Program is currently open to 10th and 11th graders.
- Any rising 10th grader can register during open registration, but priority for the course is given to students who are nominated by teachers and staff at Athens Drive.
- Rising 11th graders must have already taken the AP Seminar course as 10th graders in order to register. These students will register for AP Research and AP Environmental Science.
- The purpose of the AP Capstone™ course is to support students who may not traditionally select AP courses but who have the capability of performing at the AP level with a strong foundation.
- Students in the Athens Program will be able to earn either an AP Capstone™ Certificate or
AP Capstone™ Diploma (see below).
- In 2016-2017, rising 10th graders will be able to register for the AP Seminar course.
A Description of the AP Capstone Program from the Collegeboard:AP Capstone™ is an innovative diploma program from the College Board that equips students with the independent research, collaborative teamwork, and communication skills that are increasingly valued by colleges. AP Capstone is built on the foundation of two AP courses — AP Seminar and AP Research — and is designed to complement and enhance the in-depth, discipline-specific study experienced in other AP courses. In AP Seminar, students investigate real-world issues from multiple perspectives, gathering and analyzing information from various sources in order to develop credible and valid evidence-based arguments. In AP Research, students cultivate the skills and discipline necessary to conduct independent research in order to produce and defend a scholarly academic thesis. Students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on four additional AP Exams of their choosing will receive the AP Capstone Diploma. Students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research but not on four additional AP Exams will receive the AP Seminar and Research Certificate. AP Seminar may also be taken as a stand-alone option.
The Capstone Program at Athens Drive
This foundational, cross-curricular course is designed to equip students with the power to analyze and evaluate information with accuracy and precision in order to create effective evidence-based arguments. Students will examine real-world topics from multiple sources and points of view and will use this research to form their own perspectives. Students will then communicate their ideas through written essays and presentations. Students will complete a three-part AP assessment process: team project and presentation, individual research-based essay and presentation, and AP Exam.
Why Should I (my Child) Enroll in AP Capstone Program Courses?
A Fully Engaging Classroom Experience
- Collaborative classroom environments
- Cross-curricular connections in an interdisciplinary format
- Courses based on student design and inquiry, not on lecture
- A choice in the topics you study
- Exploration of current real-world problems and propose solutions
A Place to Belong
- Be a vital part of a diverse cohort of students with goals for success
- Take advantage of adult mentorships and AP Support programs
- Develop strong interpersonal skills
A Toolkit for Lifelong Success
- Learn how to think creatively AND critically
- Practice and develop effective presentation skills
- Improve ability to write effective arguments
- Expand your research skills
- Build stamina for complex tasks
- Prepare for rigorous college courses